Thursday 30 August 2012

Slut-shaming and an open letter to Krista Ford


                I really believe that –as sad as that is – the only reason that this story has made it into the limelight is that the girl is Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s niece. Regardless, it proves my point about the entirety of “rape culture” and the common misconceptions about it. It also shows just how empowered victims and support groups are about this.

                Krista Ford tweeted today after the string of downtown sexual assaults, “Stay alert, walk tall, carry mace, take self-defence classes & don’t dress like a whore. #DontBeAVictim #StreetSmart.” The tweet has since been taken down, but can be found to the article linked at the bottom.      

                Ford seems to be, unfortunately, one of the many people that are under the impression that the way someone dresses deserves them of sexual assault and that not looking like a whore will ensure that you’re not sexually assaulted. This seems to be one of the prevailing themes associated with this rape culture, that if you dress like a whore you should be treated like a whore or taken advantage of. I believe that whore is such an archaic word in this day and age, which honestly shouldn’t exist, like the word slut. Who is the reigning force on deciding what a whore or slut looks like? I have a little bit of a v-neck going on today, does that make me a whore? I’m wearing tight jeans, does that mean I’m a slut?

                No. That’s ridiculous! This whole culture that it’s appropriate to rape “whores” is absolutely gruesome. People are people, who cares what they’re dressing like. Why do we choose to actively persecute the victim instead of the aggressor? Ford made a choice to tweet this, instead of warning people to be on the look-out, she told people to #DontBeAVictim, carry mace and don’t look like a whore. It’s interesting that only women dress to deserve being sexually assaulted, what if the string of sexual assaults downtown were happening to men?

                I hate the “don’t be a victim” mentality. Loathe it. Yes, be empowered and stay alert to your surroundings, but you don’t know what people are out there. You don’t know who is going to think of you as their victim and clothes play only a minor role in that. People are not assaulting the clothes, they’re assaulting the person.

                Alice Moran, a victim of the sexual assaults downtown posted the following letter, which I can’t even begin to justice describing.

Dear a lot of people, but specifically Ms. Krista Ford,

In advance I’d like to say I am sorry. This is not the ideal situation to first acquaint oneself with someone and I am mortified. Sorry! However, under the circumstance, I feel like you owe me a moment of your time, even though we’ve never meet.

The circumstance being you called me a whore.

I should clarify: I’m one of the victims of the recent string of sexual assaults in the Annex. ‘Sup? It’s nice to make you acquaintance.

So, you’ve called me a whore. Here we are. This is awkward now, isn’t it? You’re probably wondering if I’m going to challenge you on having been a member of Lingerie League. I’m not, because I’d never slut-shame another woman. I believe you have a right to your body and regardless of how you do or don’t dress it I believe you have a right to respect and personal security. I guess that’s the key difference in our thinking. You could wear a t-shirt that says “I’m literally asking for it” and I’d still advocate for your security.

That’s what I’m asking for this brief moment of your day, for your edification. You’re a woman and you should know that your body is yours and yours alone. No matter how you dress it, you have a right – an actual Charter of Rights and Freedom right – to not be sexually assaulted. You are entitled to life, liberty and the security of person. Welcome to Canada – you live here! If you weren’t aware of your Charter rights, other Canadian things you may have missed out on are double-doubles, good maple syrup, and Beachcombers*, so check that shit out.

For the record, I was sexually assaulted while wearing a knee-length polka-dot dress. The last time I wore that dress, it was to Easter dinner at my Gran’s, where I’m fairly certain I could make little to no money whoring.

With due repect / sorry,

Alice Moran

Canadian / Comedian / Beachcombers Enthusiast

*I love Beachcombers.

                Since starting to write this blog the Toronto Star has posted that as per Twitter, Ford has apologized, stating: “I didn’t mean to cause such an alarm and I apologize if I did. I just want women to be safe.”

                I personally don’t buy the apology, as she didn’t apologize for what she implied, just that people were “alarmed”, however she only has 140 characters to work with. I really hope that she bucks and takes this as a learning opportunity and publicly addresses the comments that she made and the letter that Alice posted to Facebook.

                It’s ridiculous that in this day and age where we’ve got all this good there are still people that believe that based on what you wear you deserve your sexual assault.

                All of the props to Alice Moran, who in my mind is a brilliantly brave woman for standing up against this way of thinking in a way that is nothing but mature and well-thought.

 

Information taken from the following articles:

No comments:

Post a Comment